Damp brickwork in 6/7 coureses of kitchen wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tyketkd
Labourer
Labourer

Damp brickwork in 6/7 coureses of kitchen wall

by tyketkd » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:55 am

Hi the first 6/7 courses of my kitchen external wall is blistering and damp I assume rising. The kitchen floor is a few feet higher than the external yard however plaster behind washing machine has deteriorated internally. What are your thoughts? There is an external tap and sink outlet pipe that go through the wall however I cannot see any seepage that would cause the damp. House was built in the 30s. Also a fishy smell when using washer which I'm slightly worried is the electric socket/wiring that feeds it on the damp wall?
Attachments
My project (3).jpg
My project (2).jpg
My project (1).jpg
My project.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp brickwork in 6/7 coureses of kitchen wall

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:00 pm

Hi tyketkd,
It looks like you have solid walls and a DPC at floor level.
Possibly the cause of your damp issues is the fact that the outside brickwork face has been painted. Any defect in the paint layer will allow water to be sucked in but then the only way out is through to the internal surface. Evaporation here will chill the wall surface and condensation will occur.
You could try repainting the outer face and repairing any subsequent defects that appear but the drying out of the wall will take ages, there is no quick solution.
Regards S

tyketkd
Labourer
Labourer

by tyketkd » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:36 am

Hmm, so is it a good idea to remove the scabby paint somehow without damaging the brick-face to allow wall to dry out then repaint? Is there a masonry paint that trades swear by?? Thanks..

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:56 pm

Hi tyketkd,
Go over the brick faces with a wire brush and remove loose paint but avoid the mortar. I seem to recall that Which? have tested masonry paints - go for a well known brand.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 pm