Damp Cill From Leaking UPVC Window
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

jacquithurgood
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Cill From Leaking UPVC Window

by jacquithurgood » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Can anyone help. I live in a Victorian house that has UPVC windows. The walls are 1 and half feet thick, with stone cills underneath the window. We have recently replaced the roof as there was a big problem above the window area. We have also repainted the outside render (which seems pretty good) including window areas and sealed the windows with new sealant. My problem is the cill which is visible at the moment (no plaster internally) This is wet and a few lower bricks. As I seem to have fixed every other way the water could possibly get in.....

Could this problem be the black rubber gasket/seals which are inbetween the glass and the white upvc window frame? The gaskets are degrading (when wiped with a sponge the black comes off really easily) and don't seem tight. Should they be a tight fit? I did pour coloured water on the outside which did get into the frame (escape window so open out completely)

Or, the roof was fixed 6 weeks ago, big gaps before right above the window. Have I not given enough time for the water drying out yet.

Hope someone can help.
Sorry for the essay but otherwise someone will say roof/paint/sealant etc.
Many thanks
Jacqui

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:09 pm