Damp in Kitchen Fireplace in Victorian Terrace
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sharj1
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in Kitchen Fireplace in Victorian Terrace

by Sharj1 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:23 pm

Hi,

Hope someone can help, I have bought a house and could see some rising damp issues on parts of the kitchen, with salt deposits. I have removed the skirting and started applying damp proof cream in the mortar course (thanks youtube!).

Upon removing the built-in oven though (which was in the fireplace), I found the plaster was sagging. A couple of taps of the hammer and it fell away easily. As I get higher up the plaster seems to be more stable so I'm hoping it's rising damp from the ground rather than penetrating down the chimney. The wall even towards the top of the exposed brick is damp to the touch. Behind the wall is the neighbour's property.

1. Do you think it is rising damp or penetrating? if rising, would damp proof cream be the right course of treatment? If penetrating down the chimney, guess I need it capped?
2. I'm considering exposing the chimney breast brickwork to add a feature, am I letting myself in for more trouble than it's worth?

Thank you in advance for your help. You may have guessed I am new to this!!
Attachments
Pic 3.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
This is where I have removed the skirting around the perimeter of the kitchen and started injecting damp proof cream
This is where I have removed the skirting around the perimeter of the kitchen and started injecting damp proof cream

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp in Kitchen Fireplace in Victorian Terrace

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi sharj1
Since you clearly have rising damp in other walls it would be logical to assume this is also the problem in the hearth recess so try the cream here.
Exposing the brick chimney breasts may be more trouble than it’s worth especially if concrete plaster has been used and the bricks will not clean up.
Regards S

Sharj1
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Damp in Kitchen Fireplace in Victorian Terrace

by Sharj1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:29 pm

Superb - thanks for your help!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:11 am