Damp in Semi Detached
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RichardH
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in Semi Detached

Post by RichardH » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:46 am

Hello All,

I have a 1920's semi detached that has been rented for the last five years. I always new it hasd a damp problem but with there being tenants I have never done anything about it. Last month they moved out so I dug up the floorbaords and to my amazement all the joists was embedded in Soil. I had a full independant damp report and was recommneded to dig all soil and bricks out and relay flooring and the replaster some of the walls. The DPC was working fine and the problem was condensation not rising damp.

Anyway I have removed all the old flooring and replaced the joists and made sure all the vents are clear from the front of the house to the back. The soil underneath the house is still very damp. Gas Men working on the road have told me that the ground is very wet on my road and they have had a nightmere.

My question is. The damp proof report recomeneded that I need to let the soil breath but I am really tempted to put a membraine down to prevent moisture rising.......... can someone point me in the right direction as to if I sould put a membraine down and should it go on the soil or underneath the floorboards?

Thanks in Advance, Richard

tucny
Ganger
Ganger

Post by tucny » Tue May 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Oversite soil does not need to breath. Its not living! Place a polythene sheet over the oversite soil and be done. This will reduce the amount of moisture that can evaporate, finally the void beneith your floor joists should be a minimum of 150mm and ventilated well i.e airbricks every 2m or so all round the house with openings in sub floor walls to encourage a through flow of air.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:32 am