Damp in Shower room
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hoofcake
Labourer
Labourer

Damp in Shower room

by Hoofcake » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:24 am

Help please. First of all I am a real DIY novice!

A couple of years ago a new extension to my home gave me a fantastic new master bedroom and a large shower room ensuite. As a lover of showers, It was my pride and joy.

Despite having cleaned it numerous times, the ceiling above the shower head (it is a chrome overhead shower) is black with mold. Also I have mosaic style tiling around the shower which is a nightmare to clean and is also moldy.

Should I:-

Find a decent cleaning product and clean it all?

Change my exctractor fan for a better one? (it comes on when the light is turned on)

Buy special paint for the ceiling?

Replace the tiles with more suitable tiles? (Is this possible without ripping all of the bathroom suite out as it is all sealed in.)

Thanks.[code][/code][color=blue][/color]

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Do you leave the extractor fan on after showering ?

An extractor fan with a built in timer is best as it will run for abit after the shower has been used.

If you turn the fan off as you leave the room - there'll still be alot of moisture in the air.

Hoofcake
Labourer
Labourer

by Hoofcake » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks for the response.

I usually turn the light\extractor fan off as soon as l finish showering and leave the bathroom.

Going forward should this be left on for a period of time until all the moisture has gone? 20 - 30 mins??

Hopefully this will be the prevention. Now for the cure, do you suggest a good dose of elbow grease, or is there a good product out there to help remove mold??

Thanks,.

mr2mk1g
Labourer
Labourer

by mr2mk1g » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Drying the room out is certainly the key to solving the mold problem.

In the meantime though try a mould and mildew remover by Detol (green spray gun bottle - any supermarket) which has a healthy dose of chlorine in it which destroys mould in minutes.

Hoofcake
Labourer
Labourer

by Hoofcake » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:48 am

Great. thanks for the advice.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:21 pm

hoofcake
i dont want to sound depressing but my experience tells me that once you have mold etc in plaster and grout you wont get rid off it
the mold is growing from the back to the front and all you will do is in effect is cut the head of it
if it was me id cut out the plaster im assuming its plaster board so find the edge of the board and take it down and replace look on the market for some form of sealer prior to re skimming and then reseal it again you may want look at tanking kits from good tiling shops
change the fan ,make sure it is on after showering always open a window and leave the door open this causes air movement and reduces condensation
as for the grout yes you can buy various products but the only guaranteed way is to remove grout and regrout using a micro ban grout and sealants if this to much off a job then keep cleaning

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:34 pm