Damp on chimney breast for last few months and need to get rid
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
diffuze
Labourer
Labourer

Damp on chimney breast for last few months and need to get rid

by diffuze » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:06 pm

Hello,
I've had damp on my chimney breast for several months (image attached). I'd like to get rid of it. Just wondering if there's something I can put over it? Or is it a serious structural problem? A leaking chimney?

The wall is an external wall (end of terrace - image also attached).

Thanks!
Attachments
20220723_110950.jpg
20220723_110024.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Damp on chimney breast for last few months and need to get rid

by stoneyboy » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:52 pm

Hi diffuze,
Presumably you do not regularly light a fire in the chimney, so water will be entering the flue, dissolving soot deposits and then evaporating through the internal and external walls forming the flue.
You can pint the internal walls with stain block but you'll have to live with the external stain.
Regards S

diffuze
Labourer
Labourer

by diffuze » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:50 am

Hi Stoneyboy,

A big thanks for your reply! Really appreciated.

Is this something that can be fixed easily? A cap on the chimney to stop water coming in? Or I guess it could be a defect with the chimney structure, or the flashing, too? I suppose someone would need to go up on a ladder and find out how the water is coming in?

Thanks,
Chris

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:10 pm

Hi diffuze,
Assuming you do not use the chimney, it would be a good idea to fit a cowl which stop rain entering directly, keeps birds out and allows the chimney to vent.
If you do use the chimney you will need to find a terminal suitable for the fuel you use.
If water is getting in the chimney through mortar joints or flashing or through porous bricks the chances of finding and stopping the defect are pretty remote.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:12 pm