Damp on wall - help getting rid of PLEASE
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
howiet
Labourer
Labourer

Damp on wall - help getting rid of PLEASE

by howiet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:43 pm

I had a leak in my kitchen under the cabinets; this was slow and wasn't noticed for about a year; I only noticed it when a damp patch appeared above the tiles about 5 ft off the ground, and paint started flaking off. It as all done a year ago too... :(

I have had the leak fixed about 4 weeks ago, BUT, the damp is still getting worse. There is a line of wet wall, and below it flakey paint. The wall backs onto an old victorian out-door loo; whilst it's not exposed to the elements, is probably damp itself.

D you think the leak has caused the problem, or i need to damp proof the outdoor loo wall?

Unfortunately I am broke as broke can be right now and need todo the job as cheaply as possible. What is the best way? I've been reading about injecting the wall with some cream?

Thanks in advance.

howiet
Labourer
Labourer

by howiet » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:27 pm

as a follow up, i checked the out-door loo and it is dry inside and can't see much sign of damp.

id99999uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by id99999uk » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:04 pm

if you have buildings insurance it may be worth making a claim for the damage
The masonary / floor will be soaked and will require proper dring out (this could take 3-4 weeks using blowers and dehumidification
The top surface 2mm or so will appear dry quiete quickly but the moisture is still there below the surface and will wick up any porus surface , it will then cause salting (a sort of chalky bloom on plastered surfaces )
SAt this stage the plaster should be removed (this will also speed up the drying process)

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:30 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:16 am