damp on wall that adjoins to neighbour's in terraced house
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul crabtree
Labourer
Labourer

damp on wall that adjoins to neighbour's in terraced house

by paul crabtree » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi

Any help / advice here would be greatly appreciated. I have just bought a c.1900s terraced house and at the top of the stairs on the left where the wall adjoins to our neighbour's we have a damp patch about half a metre square. The damp also continues on to the wall which has the bathroom and basin behind.

My immediate thought was that the basin was leaking somewhere but this does not appear to be the case.

My second thought was that it could be a problem seeping through from next door. I had a word with the neighbour and he mentioned his bath. This made me think that he's probably had a problem with it before. He then said he'd get a plumber out to fix it. This has now happened but the damp is not drying out.

Could water be getting between my house and my neighbour's terraced house and if so where could this be coming from? What other signs should I look out for in order to ascertain the cause of this damp?

Please bear with me as I am entirely new to DIY!

Many thanks, Paul.

Claire0
Labourer
Labourer

by Claire0 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:46 pm

I also have damp on an internal ajoining wall, but mine is in the living room above the radiator?? :? I can't see where it could be coming from. It goes in a line across the wall just above radiator height for about 10 feet.

Does anyone have any ideas. I've looked through DIY Doctor but none of there suggestions apply to my wall.

Please help :roll:

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi
Have you had a look at the projects section of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm We have several projects related to Damp and Damp Proofing that may be of some use to you. Also, it may be worth your while contacting Property Repair Systems as they have a great deal of knowledge in this area. You can access their site on the following URL and clicking on the banner at the top of the page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/coldspots.htm
Regards

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 am