Damp or what???
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Celine
Labourer
Labourer

Damp or what???

by Celine » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:53 pm

I live on the top floor of a block of flats - taller than a 2 storey house.
My flat is the very last one in the corner with an outside wall with a side window. My back bedroom wall is covered with black rubbish all up and down the wall under the celing all around the window and there is water actually running down the walls. There are double glazing windows installed but the inside window sill is totally wet. Any papers that were on it were soaking through. My bathroom is the same has black rubbish above the window and above the toilet. There is green fungus around the window itself. Nothing seems to make a difference to this - leavin windows open during the day with the heating on and off. There are grill vents on the window and even leaving these open doesnt help. The room is constantly cold even if the heating is on 24 hours a day. If i try to hang clothes up to dry they never dry and any clean clothes that are hanging around always feel damp! anybody got any ideas on how to get rid of this or wat the cause is!! Any help would be great! Have photos if needed!!

Thanks
Celine

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 pm

Celine,
Sounds very much like your flat is saturated with moisture. buy yourself a cheap hygrometer and see what the relative humidity levels are in your flat. If they are 70-80% or more then damp is the problem.
Hire yourself a de-humidifier with a reheat function and run this continuously, it will probably remove around 5l of water per day.
Once you have reduced the humidity levels you can then treat the mould with mould killer but do stop trying to dry clothes in your flat.
end

Celine
Labourer
Labourer

by Celine » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks for that. Do you know where i would get a hygrometer in Dublin and roughly how much i would expect to pay for 1.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:37 pm

Celine,
Hygrometer should be available at most garden centres, they cost about £5.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:58 am