damp patch on floorboards that comes and goes - boards touching wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul71
Labourer
Labourer

damp patch on floorboards that comes and goes - boards touching wall

by paul71 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:38 am

Hi

Just moved into a house and I've noticed that in one area of the living room , a small damp patch appears on the end of the floorboards against one wall that appears at night but then dries out during the day

I've had a look and found that 3 boards were touching the wall below the membrane dpc so I've cut them back but it still happens

Does anyone know what might be happening?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: damp patch on floorboards that comes and goes - boards touching wall

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:40 pm

sounds like condensation, or a cold spot in the room, try and ventilate the area, don't place any plants near and keep furniture away if possible

paul71
Labourer
Labourer

by paul71 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks mate :)

i pulled a floorboard up before going to work this morning and everything looks ok apart from the obvious damp in the wall below the physical dpc

being a noob, can i ask what is the best way to ventilate the area?

i've been round all the airbricks cleaning them out and they're all ok and there's a hole further down the problem area where the gas pipe comes through from the cupboard under the stairs to the gas fire and there's no furniture or carpets in the room yet

the only other thing i've found online about the subject suggests hygroscopic salts in the wood pulling moisture out the air ...but i thought that caused by burning wood or coal?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:41 pm

a copper pipe will have moisture on it, that could be the culprit, the floor area under the boards must be as clean as possible, so air can circulate any rubbish must be cleared.
use pipe insulation to cover the pipe aswell

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm