DIY Doctor

Damp problems in 1930s bungalow

Postby yakheart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:35 am

Before starting on a round of decorating, we want to figure out if we have to do any work first on some symptoms of dampness but we aren't sure what the problem is (probably there is more than one).

First, for background, the house is a detached bungalow built in the 1930s. It is pebble-dashed, not painted. There is a damp course but no cavity wall insulation. The surveyors report from when we bought the house back in 1998 noted some dampness on an internal wall that was put down to a leaking pipe which had been repaired satisfactorily, but no other problems. Roof and guttering were replaced a couple of years ago and we think they are working OK - the attic seems dry, there are no leaks and no water running down outside walls from overflowing guttering.

Now here are the symptoms.

In our main bedroom, if we leave clothes in plastic storage boxes under the bed for more than a couple of months they sometimes come out smelling a bit damp. Two corners of the room that are on the external walls build up a small black mark on the wallpaper over a period of months if they aren't wiped off (at the bottom, just above the skirting board). We were away for a couple of weeks recently (with the heating being off and no-one living in the house) and when we got back there was a faint smell of dampness in the room.

The wall paper tends to peel off the walls underneath windows in two other rooms although it isn't noticably damp to the touch. We had some problems with this many years ago, which we thought had gone away when we had double-glazing installed, but it seems to be happening again. In one of these rooms we also notice that clothes stored for a long time in drawers underneath the bed also tend to smell a bit damp.

There is a crack in the pebble-dashing near one of those windows may explain the problem in one case. Clearly, I should address the visible crack in the pebble dashing - how do I know how much of it needs replaced or can I just fill in the small crack?

Is it worth investing in a dampness meter to measure how serious the problem may be? I see that some devices are marketed as being for wood and others seem more general - is there anything I should be looking for?

Is this a job for specialists to assess and how would we select one that is reliable?

Any advice would be welcome.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:29 am


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:51 am

there is nothing seriously wrong,I would suggest you have trickle vents installed in the windows in each room, to air the house,If you already have them fitted leave the vents open, if your away for a period of time.
Damp is not the problem your house just needs to be ventilated.
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Postby yakheart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks for that. It's reassuring, we will take more care about ventilating the house in future.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:29 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics