Damp Proof course and footings problem
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Maryanne
Labourer
Labourer

Damp Proof course and footings problem

by Maryanne » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 am

I've just bought a property and had someone round to dig a ditch, where there was none, around my external walls below the damp course as I had concerns about damp. After the job was apparently done I looked at it and the person concerned had only dug the ditch in certain places and where he had dug the ditch he had put in concrete that appears to slope TOWARD the walls. I got him back and he said he could only dig in certain places as the footings stuck out from the wall and that he had used special concrete?? I have been told by Rentokill that the concrete will cause the damp to flow toward the wall. Also the concrete he has used is a nightmare to remove and will probably take the bricks with it. I will have to remedy this myself as I have no money left to pay someone else - :cry: Please help!!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Maryanne,
Oh dear, not an ideal situation.
Provided the concrete is well below the damp course where it abuts the house wall it should not make things worse. If the concrete is close to the damp proof course I can only suggest that the surface is cut away on the outer edge so water drains away from the house.
end

Maryanne
Labourer
Labourer

Damp proof course and footings problem

by Maryanne » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:59 am

Thahks for your help - I might cut away the outer edge of concrete as suggested, wait til winter and see if I have damp problems unless any other solution come my way

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 am