Dark paint easy to scuff?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

freddycd15
Labourer
Labourer

Dark paint easy to scuff?

by freddycd15 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 am

Hello,

I recently decided to paint my bedroom a very dark shade of grey. Here are the quick facts:

The wall is already painted in a light matt emulsion, no primer was used.
Painted two coats with Johnstones Trade Acrylic Matt emulsion. The paint goes on the wall very well and looks great.
When finished, fingerprints, handprints, water marks, rubbing a surface slightly hard with a cloth all leave marks very easily on the wall.
These marks can't really be rid of easily, wet cloth does help, but then the area that is wiped looks slightly different to the surrounding areas.

I have done some research and it seems dark matt paints have a habit of doing this and paint with more of a gloss (eggshell etc) would be easier to care for when scuffed. I tried to do the same scuffing and marking on the wall in another bedroom which has a medium colour paint, it did the same but it's less visible as it seems to hide it better. And lighter paint such as white/beige would be even better at hiding scuffs.

I wanted to ask if this is the experience of everyone her who has used dark paints? Is this an issue with the brand itself, or just the type/colour of paint? Any suggestions on how to prevent such things happening?

Thank you.

It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:38 pm