Decking/garden height compared to damp proof course
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sarah.clegg
Labourer
Labourer

Decking/garden height compared to damp proof course

by sarah.clegg » Tue May 22, 2007 2:03 pm

I have been told that I cannot have the decking any higher than my damp proof course...? Is that true...?
I also want to level off one end of the garden, which will mean the garden will be quite a bit lower than the damp proof course, is there a minimum distance the garden can be below the DPC as an acceptable level...?

Thanks!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu May 24, 2007 8:44 am

Nothing in your garden, including decking, which is up against the house, should be any higher than 150mm BELOW the damp proof course. The damp proof course is there to stop water soaking up the bricks and getting into your house, if you place things against the wall which will allow the rain to splash against the wall above the dpc it can soon soak the wall and lead to damp indoors. Similarly you should not dig your garden down to any point below the foundation concrete, but other than that it will not matter if the garden is well below dpc.

descantrules
Labourer
Labourer

Confused

by descantrules » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 pm

I see from the reply to this query that you say the surface of the decking should be at least 150mm below the damp course. But where you give information about building a deck on your site you show a picture of one you have built. This is level with the sill of the patio doors which must be [u]above[/u] the damp course.
Which is right please.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:15 pm