Disconnection of a Gas appliance?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
prbaxter
Tradesman
Tradesman

Disconnection of a Gas appliance?

Post by prbaxter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:21 am

Quick question...

I am getting a new gas hob for the kitchen. It's basically a case of take the old one out and put the new one in. My question is, am I able to disconnect the old hob and remove it? There is an isolation valve on the feed pipe below the hob which I will shut off, before disconnecting from the hob. Do I need to be Corgi (or whatever it's called these days) to do this?

This is so i can fit the new hob ready for the gas fitter to quickly connect it up?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:33 pm

We've had this discussion may times on DIYDOC, where I have said you shouldn't/can't do it unless an RGI, and you get many people jumping in saying that you can........... blah blah blah.

So i'll ask a question instead,

How will you check there's no gas leaks once you've disconnected the hob ?

Working on a gas pipe you may accidently damage another joint, behind a unit or under the floor. If the gas isolation tap has been there for years it may be seized or difficult to operate, or very easy to operate all of which - you may turn it off and it may leak from the backnut.

If you DIDN'T answer the question with - using a 'u'gauge/manometer - or you DID answer with fairy liquid and abit water - then NO you shouldn't be disconnecting a gas hob. You need an RGI.

htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:17 am