DIY or building work?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sydna
Labourer
Labourer

DIY or building work?

by sydna » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:28 am

Help! My builders are restricted to certain working times and therefore cannot work on Sundays or Saturday afternoons, which is fine. Does that stop me doing any work myself during these periods? When does DIY start to be deemed building work.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:00 pm

You can legally do diy work at anytime you like,
but you must take in to consideration your neighbours.
Some cases are different to others as some of the lucky ones don't live on top or close by to their's. That's why there is no strict law on it.
If you start becoming a nuisance and drill and hammer at the same time everyday after say 10pm or before 8am you can be reported to noise abatement/enviormently noise association
But no law as yet, but always best to have understanding, co-opperative neighbours and not abuse that fact.
Regards
KB

sydna
Labourer
Labourer

DIY or building work?

by sydna » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks for your comments. My neighbours are ever vigilant after a lengthy fight to get planning and are likely to report anything outside the agreed hours. We are not on speaking terms so I shall think carefully over what work needs doing before hand. Many thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Yes I know the type, but it's a very grey area. I do lots of work on residential and a lot of DIY. But as long as you are not intentional being a nuisance and repeating the work day in day out at what can called unsocial hours no real legistation exist. There is an old wives myth that the hours of DIY should be contained between the hours of 0800hrs and 22 or 2300hrs. but again not written in stone.
Kind Regards
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1