Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Building4Life
Labourer
Labourer

DIY Shower with pump

Post by Building4Life » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi All,

I want to build a simple shower system using a platic drum connected to a single impeller pump which will then connect to the shower unit. All are to be located in the bathroom. So it's simply ambient water stored in the drum which is pumped to the shower. It's an idea I've had and would like input from plumbing experts whether this is achievable and safe to do.

Why do I want to do this? I'm an expat working in middle east. The water out here is stored in tanks on open flat roofs. As you can imagine, it becomes extremely hot and cannot be used for showers most of the day. I wanted to overcome this problem by finding a solution of my own.

Thanks for any positive advice.

2tellytel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: DIY Shower with pump

Post by 2tellytel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 am

Hi, with regard to your question. I have a twin impeller pump installed on my shower system in uk.

From what you say you are using a single impeller pump, hence one source of water

Therefore if we concentrate on the cold water side, my cold water storage tank (your plastic drum) , the specifications of my pump stipulate that the vertical distance between the water level in the tank ( Tank obviously above the shower) and the shower head (handset) has to be a minimum of 225mm, this ensures that the unboosted flow rate from the shower head(before pump kicks in ) is 0.5 litres of water per minute.

Also you will need a constant flow of water going into your drum, to maintain pressure and ensure that the pump does not run dry.

Assuming you have a constant source of water, your drum will obviously need a ball cock valve.

Hope this helps

Building4Life
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Building4Life » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi 2tellytel,

Thanks for replying to my question.

Yes that's correct the pump is for cold water only (For cold showers).

I was assuming that the single impeller pump could be situated at the base of the water storage drum, (just like it would be for a hot water cylinder)?

The system I'm planning to construct is a bit primitive, just so I can enjoy a shower in this extreme heat without getting burnt.

I also have the issue of electrical wiring. Need to keep researching I suppose.

Thanks again.

2tellytel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 2tellytel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi again, My pump is in the airing cupboard at the base of the hot water cylinder,but be aware that it is the cold water tank that dictates the pressure
for hot and cold water, not the hot water cylinder.

For example in my case the cold water tank feeds the cold side of my twin impeller pump and also feeds the hot water cylinder which in turn feeds the hot water side of my pump, hence the cold water and hot water are at the same pressure. The cold tank being at the highest point.
Sorry if this is a bit confusing

As I said earlier min vertical distance between shower head and water level in your drum should be minimum of 225mm
But also (which I failed to mention) the vertical distance between water level in drum and outlet of pump should be minimum 2mts.

Please feel free to visit www.socket2em.co.uk (my plumbing) for a basic introduction into plumbing systems, to help understand relationship between hot and cold tanks etc.

Also with regard to electrical power mine is a switched fused spur (5amp)
taken off ring main, cable flat 2.5 mmsq twin and earth. I appreciate your electrical system may be different.

Hope this all helps.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:16 am