DIY Doctor

Main navigation

do i need Listed buildings consent for pipe

Postby scoinsdev » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:42 pm

I own part of a 250 year old manor house, and i am in the process of renovating it. as I am moving the Ground floor bathroom & utility from one end to the other because of drain issues, I have to drop a new soil pipe out through an old air vent (brick size) down to the lower ground floor yard (the old stable yard & stables are below the house 1 side) to connect to the drains. it would require removing a vent which is 8inches above floor, and 2 bricks below to exit the house. it would then drop 9 ft to the floor, along side 1 old vent pipe and down pipe, (its having an air admittance valve in the bathroom) - my neighbours have already done something similar, but on the next level, again with a black pipe. this was done 2 years ago and they didnt have PP or Listed buildings consent. to cover my self, will i need it or wont I, TDBC are not very helpful - they wont answer me! - it wont have an impact on the house, as it would be alongside 2 anyway. - btw the place is Grade 2 Listed with 2*s
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:24 pm

Postby eljaybee » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:41 pm

To answer your question - yes you do need Building Regs Approval - as it's listed you may need planning permission.

A bathroom and the associated pipework are classed as controlled fittings and thus the installation of a bathroom in a new location requires approval.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics