DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Do I need planning permission to close up an external door

Postby egibberate » Fri May 14, 2010 8:20 pm

first post!
I have a 14 year old detached house with an external door from the kitchen that leads to the side of the house. It's never used and I want to brick it up. I'm also removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room. In this case the means of egress would be via the patio doors in the living room (but this would be all one room with the kitchen now)

How do I get the project of the ground?
Who do I need to involve (building regulations people etc.)
Do I need planning permission?
Thank you for any advice folks.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Postby DevilDamo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:05 pm

You should not require planning permission but you wil require building regulation approval as the wall infill will have to be built to current u-values and you will have to make sure the wall you're removing is non-load bearing. If it's not, then you don't need to consult the BR department. If it is load bearing, then you may need details/calculations to justify the removal of the load bearing wall and replacement with a beam.
Rank: Tradesman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics