Do I need to repoint?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
smoothfoote
Labourer
Labourer

Do I need to repoint?

by smoothfoote » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:13 am

Hi, this is my first post here, hopefully someone can help.

I have a 1926 semi which has been extended in several directions but where there are still the original walls, the mortar between the bricks is a little bit eroded. Some people have suggested that we should get it repointed.

What I'm not sure about, is how bad the situation is, and whether this is something I should do now, or whether there is no rush.

The mortar in some places is a little crumbly (seems to be quite coarse particulate - little stones and bits, not smooth cement). In a few places, e.g. corners, it's about 1cm eroded from the face of the bricks. In most places it's only about 2-3mm eroded.

Should I get this seen to? If so, any advice on who should do it - will any builder be able to do it?

Thanks

Dan

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:03 am

smoothfoote,
Unless you are getting water ingress leave well alone.
end

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

repointing

by welsh brickie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:32 am

its always best to resolve problems before they get worse,it does not sound like a really urgent job,but i havent seen it, so I suggest you get prices first, and if you decide to go ahead with the work have it done before the winter frost starts

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:09 pm