Does a Flat Roof need a Gutter ?
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robbie-rocket-pants
Labourer
Labourer

Does a Flat Roof need a Gutter ?

by robbie-rocket-pants » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Hello everyone,
easy question, I hope.....Does a Flat Roof over a garage [i][b]need[/b][/i] to have a Gutter ?

Thanks very much,
RRP

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Flat roof

by Joiner_Mike » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:56 pm

Who has done the flat roof?
Anytime i do a flat roof i never do it completly flat. I will give the roof a slight fall to one side. The fall only needs to be minor which is unvisabe to the eye but enough for the water to run off to one side where i would fix gutters/drains.
If the roof is completly flat it will retain water resulting it to last no way near as long, as the water will only go though evaporatings and in this country as soon as it does it will rain again :shock:

robbie-rocket-pants
Labourer
Labourer

by robbie-rocket-pants » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks Mike,

I was wondering, however, why you need a gutter at all; i.e. couldn't the water just run off the edge of the roof onto the ground/path below?
As there is not much of an overhang on a flat roof it is not as though you are going to get a wet head walking past it.

The reason I'm asking is because I've taken down a shabby old gutter from the garage, and I'm trying to come up with a valid reason to put a new gutter back up.

Cheers,
RRP

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Flat roof

by Joiner_Mike » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi again
Yes of course it can but water is never going to run straight off and land in perfect lines onto the path. If water is dripping and wind is blowing it will end up blowing into the wall, which over time time cause dam or discolour your brick work.
For the price of plastic guttering you might as well replace it. This way you know all the water is getting directed directly into the drain.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:31 pm