Does a Mouse Under Floorboards and Around Electrics Pose a Fire Risk?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jellyfish
Labourer
Labourer

Does a Mouse Under Floorboards and Around Electrics Pose a Fire Risk?

by Jellyfish » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:21 am

A mouse is moving around under my bedroom floorboards at night. I think it's climbing up the power cables behind a panel in my lobby, emerging into the cupboard that houses the electric meter and fuse box, and from there climbing up the cables that go up to my bedroom. There are largish holes around the place where the cables go up from the meter box, and I know I need to fill these. Probably need to take the panel off and fill whatever hole is there at ground level too. What kind of filler is safe to use around cables? I don't want to use anything that is going to damage them or cause a fire risk.

Recently I've also heard what I think is the same mouse scuttling and chewing under my downstairs floorboards or maybe behind the skirting. I'm worried it's chewing on my cables and possibly causing fire risk damage. I'm dreading having to pull up the carpet and lift the floorboards to check for damage. Am I really going to have to do that? I have no idea how the little rascal has got under my floors as there are no holes in the exterior of my house. Just really worried about what damage it might be doing. Any help much appreciated.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Does a Mouse Under Floorboards and Around Electrics Pose a Fire Risk?

by ericmark » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:39 pm

We do see rodent damage, the railway used cables impregnated with arsenic we were warned never strip a cable with your teeth. No meter can really test it has to be visible however if correctly installed the overload or RCD should trip before you get a fire.

There is a lot about some materials leaching the plasticizer out of the cables but this only stops you from moving the cables it does not stop them doing their job if left undisturbed.

My son used expanding foam to fill all holes not really the right stuff but so easy to use and it fills all holes.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:39 am