domestic lights blinking on and off.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tyke
Apprentice
Apprentice

domestic lights blinking on and off.

by tyke » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:02 pm

Can't find this in the forum.....apologies if I am wrong!
House built 1970.
A few months ago I noticed a minor occasional 'blink' in the hall light. Since the darker nights began I noticed that the adjacent cloakroom light also began blinking - even though it was only on for a minute or two at a time. Eventually the cloakroom light began to blink so severly and permanently that I switched it off.
Tonight I noticed that the dining room light appears to have started blinking as well.
What is the likely cause?
All these lights/fittings are just 'ordinary' fittings. The only thing they have in common is that they are two-way switches.
How worried should I be? Is there anything we can do?
Thank you for any help

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 am

There are 100's of things that could cause it but try simple things first like changing the bulb. The solder on the contacts of the bulb can end up with dimples in it and reduced pressure gives a bad connection to bulb. As this continues it can overheat the bulb holder and cause the springs in contacts to fail and then the holder needs changing.

tyke
Apprentice
Apprentice

domestic lights blinking on and off

by tyke » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:45 am

Thank you for the suggestion.
We are pensioners and it is becoming virtually impossible to find suitable bulbs for our light fittings, many of which are traditional downward facing glass shades. The new eco bulbs and coils either look awful and/or are too big for the fittings.
With age comes failing sight and the light from these bulbs does not help!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:49 am