Door frame removal
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Door frame removal

by htg engineer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:25 pm

I want to remove an internal door frame, which is in a load bearing wall. The opening will be boarded and plastered.

Will I come across any problems, will i need to install anything to support the brickwork above the door frame ?

Thanks htg

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:07 am

Assuming that the door has been correctly installed in the first place and has a load bearing lintel above it then you shouldn't need to install anything extra to support the brickwork. The joinery which you are removing is simply to attach the door to the wall and make it look nice.

Of course if the door was installed by cowboys or it is an exceptionally of property there may be no lintel which is outside my comfort zone, if you're not certain I'm sure you'll be aware that getting a structural engineer in can save money in the long term.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm