Doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mj cornish
Labourer
Labourer

Doors

Post by mj cornish » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:27 pm

I have had new doors through out the house and the person who did the doors is trying to charge me £275 plus vat for each door (times 15 ), 11 of the doors are 6 panelled white doors and 4 of the doors ate 15 paned bevil glass one none of the doors are solid ,he is saying the labour to hang,fit new latch make good the linning ( which he has not done) paint with one coat of primer and 2 undercoats and 1 satin coat is £212 plus vat per glazed door and £179 plus vat per panel door he is also saying that the materials (door,handles,latchs two part filler,paint) comes to £112 plus vat for glazed door and £78 plus vat for panel door.

I and other people think that he is trying to do me, can someone give some advise please. ( am a widow on her own)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:47 pm

mj cornish,
From your message I assume you did not get a price before work started.
Whether you are being overcharged or not will depend on the quality of materials used.
Doors will vary in price considerably, a basic panel door from wickes will cost about £23, latches handles and hinges in a multi-buy pack would be less than £10 per door, prices include VAT. Fitting and painting might take about 6 hours per door - depends on the persons skill - charge maybe £20 per hour. Total cost per basic door about £170 inc VAT.
The problem is you may have picked better than basic door furniture. The person may have bought better than basic doors, the door finish may be superb, the existing door openings may be well out of true making fitting a lengthy process.
You could try negotiating the price down but do not try this on your own.
end

ironmonkey
Labourer
Labourer

Post by ironmonkey » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:47 pm

I have seen these doors in situ'.They are of a budget moulded panel door style,basic BQ standard.The door linings are straight and true.The guy even used the same hinge points cut into the lining.I am not a proffesional chippy(plasterer/general builder by trade)but i do know cheapish doors when i see them and get annoyed when the price of fitting seems over-inflated.Some advice on the average costings from the prof's in this area is more than welcome before mj cornish tackles her chippy next week. :)

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:21 pm

It almost sounds all too late. If here was no quote given before the work was started and the contractor just told to "go ahead" then the price is the price - provided you are satisfied with the quality of the work and the finish then there is little you can do if the only beef is the final bill.

However, was a quotation / estimate given for each door before work was started? How close was it to the final bill? If so was any mention made of VAT at that time? If not then the convention is that if VAT is not mentioned on estimate and or quote then it is deemed to be included.

Have you got a VAT invoice with his VAT registration number on? If not then he's in doodoo charging you VAT.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:49 pm