Dot and dab prep for hollow sounding plastered wall
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
welly417
Labourer
Labourer

Dot and dab prep for hollow sounding plastered wall

by welly417 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:51 pm

Hi all. Sorry if this had already been covered but just couldn't find exactly what i'm after knowing. Couple of questions:

1) ok, the whole house is currently traditional plaster. It's probably borderline weather its fit to just patch and skim but i've already made the decision to go the extra and board it throughout. Question is, as the plaster is hollow sounding in places but not falling off and reasonably(ish) sound, am i just making extra work by hacking it all back to brick or could i just d&d over the existing plaster? (or a middle ground where i just remove the hollow sounding stuff or just remove small patches so that the dabs are on brick?)
2) ground floor has a few walls with new sand and cement render up to 1 m following damp works. I'm thinking of boarding only above the 1m line so that it is flush with the sand and cement (obviously all the old plaster above 1 m will have to come off on these walls to allow the boarding to be flush with the sand and cement) Not sure if this will work or if i'll end up with skim cracking and 1m line where the join is?
Not the best at explaining so hopefully that makes sense, let me know if not!
cheers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Dot and dab prep for hollow sounding plastered wall

by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Hi welly417
Remove loose patches and repair to give a sound substrate. Board over damp proofed areas as well as the plaster above. You could split above the concrete render but you would have to fit a dado rail to cover the join.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am