double dimmer switsh problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
haydenukhayden
Labourer
Labourer

double dimmer switsh problems

by haydenukhayden » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:15 pm

[size=18]right i just bought a 2 sets of halogen dimmable lights and ive bought a double dimmer switch on the back of dimmer switch i have L1,L2 and ~(common as far i know) on both sides of switch. i'm fitting this system instead of my old single switch one light system i have bought a splitter so i have two set of live earth and neutralwhere do i fit what in the dimmer switch ? plz helpbenn recking my brain cheers[/size]

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:51 am

Neutral does not go to switch. It is not plain as to if you are replacing originals or fitting new? "i have bought a splitter" makes me think your starting from scratch. Most lights need a junction box of some type either ceiling rose or standard 4 way junction box as Neutral does not go to switch and you need a way to send switched live and Neutral to lamp and Live and Switched live to switch. At switch live goes to common and L1 (or L2 would still work) to lamp. If using twin and earth a brown sleeve is put on the switched wire to show it is live not neutral.
If it is original wiring neutral is not feed to switch but often the blue wire is used as switch wire and a sleeve fitted.
In old systems brown is red and blue is black.
There is a good explanation in the projects section with pictures.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:06 am