Double Glazing Sealant Cracking Around Inside of Frames
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

jscott53
Labourer
Labourer

Double Glazing Sealant Cracking Around Inside of Frames

by jscott53 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:18 am

I had double glazing installed last year. The sealant inside the house around the windows and doors cracked in many places very soon after installation. The installers offered to come back and redo it but because I knew they would try to do it quickly that it wouldn't be a particularly neat job as indeed their first effort wasn't very neat. So I decided to do it myself. The result was very much neater than the installers had achieved but the sealant continued to crack although not as bad as before. I then repaired the cracks numerous times but still the cracking would come back. I then tried different sealants all of which promised flexibility but still the sealant cracked.

So here is my question: - because windows and doors are bound to move due to heat fluctuations or being opened and shut etc. do you just have to accept that sealant will crack to a certain extent and if not how do you stop it? Is there a really super flexible sealant on the market somewhere?

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:45 am