Downlighter problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chippychap
Apprentice
Apprentice

Downlighter problems

by Chippychap » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Hi Guys, two different types of downlighter. Each with its own problem.
First the one in the kitchen isthe rail type with four seperate attached fittings.
Two have now stopped working even with new bulbs.

The other one is flush fittings in the bathroom.
Again, one has stopped working even with new bulb.
The second fitting needs to come out of the ceiling so I can have a look, it is the type with a spring that holds it in place.
What causes the fittings to suddenly stop working?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 am

I would love to ban down lighters of 50mm type because of the problems they cause.
1) The heat often damages the supply pins and socket.
2) There are many different sizes from 1W to 75W and nothing to stop overloading or underloading of transformers or inverters.
3) Often they are too hot for location.
4) There are also many angles of lamp again nothing to stop wrong one being fitted.
5) There are two types of lamp one which lets heat out of back of lamp through reflector and one which sends most of heat same as light. With low voltage type GU10 and GZ10 (230v) they are not interchangeable but with extra low voltage (12v) wrong type can be fitted.
6) Transformers and inverters can overheat and burn out and are often hard to reach. I can't condone leaving transformers/inverters just lying on plaster board but that is common.

You don't say if second is low or extra low voltage but first must be extra low and I will guess you have used too big lamp size and burn out transformer or inverter.

Note Inverter is like a transformer but lighter and voltage regulated and have a min as well max output.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:36 pm

If the number 1 lamp is of the type that reuires a connection with the rail to be made then over time the lamps can lift away from the rail, so breaking the contact.
Alternatively could be transformer failure if they are SELV lights, likewise the most likely option with the bathroom light is transformer fail. the type with the ring clip holding the lamp in place is not rated for bathroom use by the way.
As above, these things are a pain in the proverbial!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 pm