3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ncooper1974
Labourer
Labourer

Downstairs Bathroom Smells in Warm Weather

Post by ncooper1974 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:19 am

Hi

1st time poster

We have a downstairs shower room - shower, toilet and wash basin. The room smells every morning, but ONLY when the weather is warm (like now). It has been happening for a few years now, and we'd like to know what we can check to fix the issue.

Our kitchen and utility rooms are on the ground floor and we NEVER have the issue in there (I assume they would be connected to the same drainage system?). Our upstairs bathroom also has NEVER had this issue.

Being a downstairs toilet, the room is used daily so there is always standing water in the pipes. I have checked for obvious signs of leaks on the basin and shower pipes and there are none. No water escaping from the toilet either.

We've tried drain cleaners in the sinks, and odour products. Sometimes they work for a day or so, other times not at all.
I took the u-bend out under the wash basin the other day and there was some build up of sludge (?). Gave it a really good clean (like new!) and smell went for a few days, but its back again.

The smell is mainly in the morning (so we probably get used to it during the day) so whatever we do to fix it we usually need to wait a day or so to see if it worked.

Anything else we can check?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Downstairs Bathroom Smells in Warm Weather

Post by stoneyboy » Sat May 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi ncooper1974
Presumably your hand basin has a overflow hole in it.
Try sticking some tap over the hole and put the plug in place overnight and see if this sorts the problem.
Regards S

ncooper1974
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Downstairs Bathroom Smells in Warm Weather

Post by ncooper1974 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:09 am

Hi

Yes, it does have an overflow hole.

will try your trick this evening and see if it resolve it.
Thanks

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:08 am