dpc for new patio door
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

dpc for new patio door

by kbrownie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:07 am

Hi I have just removed a window and replaced it with a patio door, the internal reveals now need tidying up. The cavitity at floor level is now open, due to the fact I needed to cut down from window to floor to fit in door, does this need to have a DPC before I fill in and plaster up? and if so what would be best method?
Regards
KB

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

fitting door

by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:33 am

when you fit pvc door you will be left with a outer and inner wall.
fit the door flush with the back of the outer skin of brickwork.
the cavity will be open obviously or you may or may not have insuation.
Make sure all debris is clear of the cavity at the bottom of the door.
I would suggest if there is no insulation use drytherm,its water resistant
fill only the sides of the walls do not fill the bottom it must be kept clear.
Once done to finish the job use window board (mdf) or similar to finish
the bottom of the door,and dryline the reveals to the door.
Then plaster to finish.
Alternativly for a better finish use plastic to line the entire reveal.
Measure the reveal allow 5mm extra and use fascia cover board. silicone
spots on reveal and stick make sure its staight silicone will grip it and set after a couple of hours.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:34 am

Hi welsh brickie,
Thank's for reply, my mate fitted the window it's his job but not fensa reg'd. But I did put building notice in, so want job to be right, both for me and local building controls. My window fitter put cill board over internal threshold when installing window. I offered to finish internal reveals off to save him some time as he did as a favour. So if I now fill in the cavity from cill board upwards with drytherm, would that be okay?
I can dryline and plaster, so that's no problem.
Thank's again info much appreciated.
KB

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:47 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:37 am

See the project on cavities, lintels and insulation and then look at the various projects on damp and cold spots together with condensation. You will see that insulating part of a cavity causes cold spots in the other parts which in turn causes air in the building to condense and mould is then given a chance.

Sometimes it takes a little while to find all the answers in the projects section because in the building industry it is mainly the case that there are several answers to one question. We try to offer a full understanding about the construction process on this site so our users can become aware of how their houses work. We do this because we believe prevention is certainly cheaper than cure when it comes to rectifying building mistakes.

The forum is a hugely valuable asset for our users and if used in conjunction with the rest of the site enthsiasts can save thousands of pounds on their home projects.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:10 pm