DPC Height Quandry and Damp on Front Wall of Living Room
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
jimpom23
Labourer
Labourer

DPC Height Quandry and Damp on Front Wall of Living Room

Post by jimpom23 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi,

I have damp on the front wall in the front room of my 1900 terrace (the left side of the window as you look at the picture below) and having had an independent survey done it was suggested that a DPC is done and a channel dug out at the front to alleviate breaching of it from splashback.

See picture which shows the mortar lines I am discussing below - they are essentially the ones above and below the grey box on the wall on the right of the picture.

As an enthusiastic DIY'er I decided I would do this myself, the wall is less than 5 metres in length and having researched them, I decided on dryrods so simply need to drill the right holes - no worries.

I started to prep the area at the front of the house before making a start on the digging of a trench/channel but on moving back the aggregate and crud I found that it was solid stone there which pretty much stops me dead.

As I see it, I now have two choices:

Install DPC at the loweer point which seems to be at or just below floor level - I feel this would be most effective as it is below floor level/skirts. OR

Install DPC at next mortar line up which takes it roughly 2/3 inches above the skirting board, so about a foot above floor level. This would meet regulations of being 6 inches above ground level but I'm guessing won't do much for the damp.

The best way to remedy the issue overall I think is to do the lower of the two lines as it would be most effective but I'm conscious that we want to move and the first thing a surveyor would say is that it is less than 6 inches above ground level so is likely to be breached. I should also add that I plan to paint the entire of the front of my house in safeguard stormdry so am hoping this would help.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:35 am