DPC on a brick pier for garage conversion
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
HouseThatJackBuilt
Labourer
Labourer

DPC on a brick pier for garage conversion

by HouseThatJackBuilt » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:42 am

I had an integrated garage in the house. I have recently had a builder come and replace the garage door with a brick wall and a large bay window as I plan to turn this garage into an office. I have contacted building control at our local council and they have rejected the application because there is no Damp Proof Course around the brick pillar.

The building controller, who I contact over whatsapp doesn't respond to my questions. The builder has gone AWOL and I'm not sure what to do.

The one thing I did get from building control was:

.I would have wrapped the internal face of the piers in DPM, before plasterboarding

Does he mean all I have to do is put a Damp Proof Membrane around the pillar from the window to the blocks?

I wish he would just respond but he takes days to come back to me and I want to proceed with the job.

Will I end up having to remove the window, fit a Damp Proof Course, and then put it back again?
Attachments
WNT1B (1) (2).png
WNT1B (1) (2).png

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: DPC on a brick pier for garage conversion

by stoneyboy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi housethatjackbuilt
You do not say whether the block wall that the pillar is attached to (not the new one under the window) is an internal wall or an exposed one.
The pillar should have a horizontal DPC and I would have expected the walls to be lined with a breathable DPM before battening, insulating and boarding.
You really need to agree what is required with your building inspector.
Regards S

HouseThatJackBuilt
Labourer
Labourer

by HouseThatJackBuilt » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:05 pm

The block is internal and adjoins to next door. Am I ok to cover the pillar with bichumin to act as a dpc ?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:15 pm

Hi housethatjackbuilt
It is not possible to tell from your pictures whether the pier is separated from the new and old block walls by vertical DPCs. If it is then your coat of bitumen should be ok but it will need 2 or 3 coats. If the pier is joined to the old and new block walls there is the possibility that damp will transfer into the blocks and you must get the BI to suggest what will be an acceptable way of treating this.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:40 am