Draining Central Heating when no drain valve on radiators!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Firefire0
Labourer
Labourer

Draining Central Heating when no drain valve on radiators!

by Firefire0 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:00 pm

HELP!..... Just moved into a new house and need to drain the central heating system down, the problem is I cannot find a drain valve on any of the radiators downstairs!! :shock:

Its a Sime Friendly E Combi Boiler.

Just how am I meant to drain the system down?? :roll:

I would really appreciate any help here......

Many thanks in advance.

Neil.

wishiwascorgi
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wishiwascorgi » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:03 am

Hi Neil,

if you look at your radiators there should be a drain off valve either on the lock shield or near them on the pipe work.

If not a fella on here left some good advice about a self tapping drain off. I personally would not use them but the person who was left the advice said it worked a treat. so have a look at some of the other questions on here about draining a radiator.

toneyt
Tradesman
Tradesman

by toneyt » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:25 pm

i agree about the self cutting taps to drain off great idea but never leave it on ,replace it with a tee and a drain off,the boiler should have a drain off to release the pressure then use a rad to drain the rest if you dont fancy cutting in the system with the self cutting tap,why are you draining down ?

plumbers1
Tradesman
Tradesman

System drain down

by plumbers1 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:48 pm

This is a common problem. Best way to do this without causing a mess is to get one of the DIY washing machine valve kits that cut into the pipework and make their own hole sealing around the pipe as it does so. This will have a shut off valve that can be attached to a normal washing machine supply hose, this can be turned on and off as required until drained down. Of course you will have to cut in a drain off but this can be done in place of the washing machine valve you have just used!!!Happy days!!!!! :D

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1