Drill chuck removal
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
the2ems
Ganger
Ganger

Drill chuck removal

by the2ems » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:41 am

The keyless chuck on my Wickes cordless drill has jammed in the fully open position after using it with a paddle mixer attachment. It's out of warranty so no point trying to return it. I bought a replacement chuck from the same store, which it says fits their drills. The problem I have is removing the old chuck. The screw comes out fine, but then I cannot undo the chuck. I have watched You Tube videos showing how to do it, but they involve tightening a large allen key in the chuck and hitting it with a hammer. But I can't do this because the chuck is stuck open. I have tried gripping it around the outside with a mole wrench, but still couldn't budge it. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

woolyhead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Drill chuck removal

by woolyhead » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Try WD 40 on the chuck's mounting threads and leave it to soak in overnight. If still stubborn, heat base of the chuck next to the threaded part with a propane torch and try the wrench again while the chuck is still hot. How did you lock the drill shaft while you were doing this, by the way? There is a limit to how much torque the gears will stand.

woolyhead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Drill chuck removal

by woolyhead » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Another possibility is to measure the size of the chuck opening and buy a hexagon bar (Allen key) of the same size or minutely smaller. Berrer still take the drill to the toolstore to make certain the wrench fits

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:05 pm