Apprentice
Apprentice

Dripping and Spluttering Sink Pillar Taps

by brendanxx » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:21 pm

IMG_6148.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG
Hi,
I have a dripping and spluttering sink pillar cold tap and a pillar sink hotwater tap that you have to turn on a few turns before you get water. Both the taps move around when the water's turned on.
I tried to undo the lower not on the cold tap to change the washer but it wouldn't move, so not wanted to snap anything gave up.
Don't really want to pay a plumber £100 plus to change the taps so would really like to do it myself.
Problem is that the piping under the sink isn't something I've seen before. The flexible pipe is larger than the ones I've known before - I assume it's a 22mm and there's a plastic coupling (is this a plastic 15 to 22 mm converter) that is also new to me (see photo). The tubing seems quite corroded (blue dust on it).
So, judging from the attached photos should I just try and undo the nut under the sink and replace the taps? If the flexible tubing needs to be replaced can I attach the new 15mm tubing to the metal pipe at the bottom of the photo?
If I completely mess it up somehow his there a safe way of blocking the water pipe until the plumber gets here?
Sorry is this all seems a bit convoluted - I have a feeling that it's all probably quite simple but need to check before I start removing the taps.

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:57 pm