Dry Lining an interior flint wall
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Elizabeth Holland
Labourer
Labourer

Dry Lining an interior flint wall

by Elizabeth Holland » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:10 pm

I need to dry line an interior flint wall that already has lime mortar on it. Am I right in thinking that I build the frame, then cover it with polythene, then breathable DPM and finally plasterboard? It's the polythene and DPM stages I'm unsure about. Advice gratefully received!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

flint wall

by welsh brickie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 pm

50x50mm wood frame insulate with rockwool,staple polythene to the wood then plasterboard

Brickworkz
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Brickworkz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

The wall needs to breath so it would be the DPM first or coat the wall with a breatherable sealer.

You can then insulate then use the polythene or foiled backed plasterboard.

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Dry Lining an interior flint wall

by Bauwer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:58 am

Elizabeth Holland wrote:I need to dry line an interior flint wall that already has lime mortar on it. Am I right in thinking that I build the frame, then cover it with polythene, then breathable DPM and finally plasterboard? It's the polythene and DPM stages I'm unsure about. Advice gratefully received!

My suggestion would be not using any impermeable modern materials as they could trap moisture. Highly breathable materials need to be used to ensure that building continues to breathe.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:36 am