DIY Doctor

Dryline or dot and dab?

Postby sieman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi there, Just after some advice? I had the damp proofing done 2 years ago. in my backroom, which meant about 1-2 feet of plaster had to come of the wall from the floor upwards. Revealing the brickwork which has been re-pointed. Now i want to cover this brickwork and make it flush with the old plaster above it. I think the base must be horsehair mix and then skimmed over the top for the old plaster. It is about 1 & 1/2" thick. What should i use? doing 2 adjoining walls. Wondering what is best to keep it insulated. Thankyou. Sie.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 pm


DIY asbestos test kits

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 pm

normally on an external wall you'd use a sand/cement render mix. you could get away with bonding/undercoat plaster or even browning followed by a skim finish.

normally render is used on external walls as it's more resistant to damp but as you've had the damp proofing done then i see no reason why you couldn't use an undercoat plaster.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:14 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics