E27? Lamp Holder too Small for Lamp Shade Hole too big for Reducer - help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SoundandFury
Labourer
Labourer

E27? Lamp Holder too Small for Lamp Shade Hole too big for Reducer - help

Post by SoundandFury » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:20 pm

I have lamp shades that I am looking to improve the look of by replacing the bog standard white plastic rose, cable, and lamp holder with antique brass fittings and fabric flex. The lamp holder I have purchased, although smaller than the diameter of the hole at the top of the lamp shade (the hole is 40mm approx), is too big to get through the reducer ring that comes with the shade. I tried trimming the ring as in theory, if I managed to trim the inner part of the ring, I would be able to get the new lamp holder through the trimmed ring, but this has proven difficult to do, and I ended up snapping the ring itself in my endeavours. My question to the forum is whether anyone knows of reducers which I can fit to the lamp shade hole (the reducer ring that comes with the shade has two tracks of plastic which sit proud of the hole either side with an inner circle of plastic which fits firmly against the edge of the hole, securing it in place) which are non-standard. All reducer rings I've come across so far reduce the hole to 29mm, whereas the diameter of the lamp holders I purchased is approximately 32mm diameter. I include a link to the lamp holder in question:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E27-ES-Vinta ... e1%7Ciid:1

It is described as an E27 ES Vintage Retro Edison Screw Bulb Socket Lamp Holder Light With Switch UK.

If an alternative reducer for my purpose is not readily available, the only alternatives I can think of are either to somehow source antique brass threaded rings which would fit the 32mm diameter of the reducer, but whose own external diameter is greater than the 40mm hole of the lamp shade, or if the worst comes to the worst, to build up the lamp shade hole using adhesive tape in order to reduce its size.

Any advice, including any potential links to where I could purchase parts to help me resolve this would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: E27? Lamp Holder too Small for Lamp Shade Hole too big for Reducer - help

Post by ericmark » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Sorry you will not like this answer, getting a different bulb holder is likely the best option.

With a metal bulb holder it either has to be double insulated or earthed, there is a thread on the holder which would connect it to a tube of a standard or table lamp and would be earthed by the tube, it is not designed to be fitted to a cable.

SoundandFury
Labourer
Labourer

Re: E27? Lamp Holder too Small for Lamp Shade Hole too big for Reducer - help

Post by SoundandFury » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 am

Many thanks for your reply. I've now ordered what I hope is the right part.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:46 am