earth bonding bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ol-london
Labourer
Labourer

earth bonding bathroom

by ol-london » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:33 pm

Hi there - please fogive me if these sound silly questions but I'd appreciate some help - need to get part p done so want to check I'll do it right.
I have just installed a new bathroom - in what was a shower room - and no (visible) bonding present.
I've looked through the forums but still have a question or two ....
1. Do I bond the pipes in series with just one tail going to earth (as if it's just an 'earth' spur) or do I need a circuit?
2. I read on these pages that the earth shouldn't go direct to circuit board as it could be dangerous - so should it go to nearest socket circuit and straight in there - I can get it easily through a wall into the next room?
Any tips wold be great - thanx.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:01 pm

If you have no current using equipment Ie electric/power shower or heated towel rail etc the you don't have to connect to circuit earth at all,
cross bonding no longer required in room as long as all pipes bonded to each other somewhere convenient say a nearby airing cupboard. If you do have circuit in the room then you must connect to all pipes. EG from earth term. in a shower pull switch to pipes in loft would comply, hope this helps SPARX

ol-london
Labourer
Labourer

by ol-london » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:42 pm

Thanks Sparx -
but to just to clarify - as in due course we're hoping for towel rail -
can I bond the pipes straight back to the board (that's the quickest and easiest route) or is it best just to wire it into the towel rail earth?
Thanks for your help -
ol

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 01, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi ol,
don't bond back to board, a fault on another circuit could cause raised voltage on pipes in bathroom, idea is to create an area/zone in which all exposed metalwork is at same potential(voltage) so if you fit towel rail then it's earth via it's cable/flex should be 'tied' to the local pipes with earth bond wire, this can come from earth lug on rail or from connection point where flex/cable meet ie fused spur, regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:51 pm