Earth bonding in bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pgn
Labourer
Labourer

Earth bonding in bathroom

by pgn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi,

I am installing an en-suite and I have read a number of forms but I'm still unclear where I have to terminate the earth from the bathroom.

The existing bathoom has the earth going back to the consumer unit. I believe that this is not allowed anymore under the 17th Edition wiring regs.

Can anyone please tell me where I teminate the earth, if not back at the consmer unit?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Suplementry bonding, should be made for circuits supplying class I and II equipment to accesisible conductive parts within in the room.
Metal pipes supplying, water, gas, waste, central heating, air con, accessible metal structures etc...
It may be installed outside the room but close to the point of entry to the room.
It could also be omitted if certain conditions are met with acordance to 701.415.2 and 411.3.2 of BS7671(2008)

fulfordroofing
Labourer
Labourer

earth cables

by fulfordroofing » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:59 pm

there are no earth bonding allowed in the bathroom anymore unless your main water supply/stop tap is there only earth bond the gas supply and incoming water supply

pgn
Labourer
Labourer

by pgn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 am

Folks,

Thanks for the responses.

I did some more diggng, and it looks as though, under the 17th edition, if you ensure that all the equipment in the bathroom is covered by a RCD then supplimentary bonding is no longer a requirement.

In my case, I will be installing an extraction fan (in the loft) and lights (inc a mirror light), so I can use a RCBO, as the light cct is not covered by the RCB in the consumer unit. I don't intend to have any other electrical items in the bathroom (towel rail, etc).

The RCBO is reasonably costly (£20) but saves a lot of mucking around with cabling. :)

Does anyone see a problem with that approach?

Cheers

rutherford
Labourer
Labourer

by rutherford » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:42 pm

PGN As you say suplementary earth bonding in the bathroom is not required if other conditions apply but is still allowed.
As the work is in a special location (bathroom) this is covered by part p of the building regulations and you should go through the local building control or get someone who is part p registered. It will save you a lot of problems in the long run particularly when you come to sell the house.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 pm

Supplementary bonding is not needed if an RCD is installed!
Where does it say that in the 17th eds, it's not true, other things need to be in place. Read 701.415.2 of the regs.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:57 pm