Earthing a property
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sjd
Labourer
Labourer

Earthing a property

by sjd » Sat May 23, 2009 8:23 am

I have recently moved into a bungalow and there seems to be a problem with the electrics, ie overloading etc.i have been told that some f the properties where i live have not been earthed or not earthed proerly.Is this possible ? If so how do i check and how would i go aboutg earthing the property.

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by steve the plumber » Sat May 23, 2009 3:20 pm

Get a qualified sparky in to test and by the sounds of it renew the wiring and to install an earthing pit and bar.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon May 25, 2009 6:26 pm

sjd
when you say "not been earthed" do you mean that there is no main earthing conductor to property with incoming supply or you have no CPC (Circuit protective conductor) often called earth, in you circuits around the house.
It was common for lighting circuits years ago not to have a CPC installed but normally the sockects would, I'd suggest that you only used plastic or double insulated accessories, where no CPC present and contact a registered electrician to have a look, the lighting circuits may need re-wiring.
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:57 am

also sometimes properties were wired using single cables in metal trunking, which was used to provide the earth. this can become damaged or corroded leaving you no earth. it depends on whether you mean you can't see an earth wire, or on testing there is no path to earth (earth loop impedence)

sjd
Labourer
Labourer

Earthing problems

by sjd » Thu May 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks Moggy & kbrownie i appreciate your posts very much. Ive got a friend who is a qualified sparky who is going to have a look at the wiring here. Ill let you know on this thread what he says ok.Thanks again

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am