Earthing to Gas Pipe at meter
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hamish72
Tradesman
Tradesman

Earthing to Gas Pipe at meter

by hamish72 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:28 pm

Existing 22mm Gas pipe is earthed correctly I hope about 50mm from the gas meter outlet and goes unbroken to the main earth on electric meter board

A new gas boiler located in a new position will entail another 22mm gas pipe teed from the gas meter outlet and run to the new boiler position

The existing gas system and its earthing will remain as is to supply a gas fire

Question is it required to run a second earth wire along with the second gas pipe to the main earth point.

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Hamish
No second bond is necessary.
The existing bond should be connected not more than 600mm from the meter on the dicharge side, to the main electrical earth connection at the incoming power supply. It is recommended that this bond cable should 6mm Green/Yellow. It is also recommended that the cross bonding continues to pickup the incoming water supply pipework.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:38 pm

If you incoming gas supply is bonded at your side of the meter within 600mm of it entering building and back at MET (main earth terminal) at the CU, that's as it should be.
Your new boiler will have a plate underneath that connects all pipes to that so no need to additional bond or supplementary bond the boiler.
The only case I'd consider additional bonding, would be if the mains gas entered the building at more than one point.
i.e meter in cabinet outside wall, supply coming in downstairs to cooker and supply going up external wall to boiler upstairs.
But in theroy it should still be earthed back at original point of enterary downstairs.
KB

hamish72
Tradesman
Tradesman

by hamish72 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks to DEEARR2 and kbrownie

The gas supply box is out side and yes there will be 2 separate pipes entering the building at different positions so I guess I will do a second earth on the new one to be sure

thanks again

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:48 am