Electric oven and hob.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

Electric oven and hob.

Post by m7ohn » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:41 pm

I'm re-wiring my kitchen on a building notice with final inspection by part 'p' registered electrican.
Regarding my hob and oven.
I've run 10mm2 cable from the consumer unit to the cooker switch through non insulated walls. Again 10mm2 from the cooker switch to the cooker outlet. The hob will be hard wired to the cooker outlet via 10mm2, hob is 6200watts.
My cooker switch does not have an integral socket and so i have not run it from the RCD protected side of the consumer unit.
The built under oven is only 2400 watts and came with a 13amp plug fitted. I thought to run a separate radial circuit in 6mm2 to power the oven via a socket.
I don't want to plug the oven in to the ring main.
I like the idea of my cooker switch (45amp DP) being able to isolate both hob and oven because i believe most people who turn this switch off would assume they've just isolated the complete cooker package.
My question is can i run my oven from the cooker outlet together with the hob maybe by spurring off with a single switched socket and keep the 13amp protected oven plug on the oven.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:17 am

Hi,
if you are using a cooker outlet plate to connect to the hob it is quite ok to take even a 2.5mm from it to a single skt. outlet, if kept "very short and unlikely to suffer mechanical damage". so if you have the room behind oven-theres not much usually- and not in line with hot air vent then no prob. BTW the hob loading is total if all on together only ever happens for short periods as individual thermostats will ensure diversity, actual load prob. less than half rating in use so no worries about total load on 10mm2
regards SPARX

nappa007
Labourer
Labourer

electric oven and hob.

Post by nappa007 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:20 am

Ok to start with, even if u do or do not have an integral socket on ur cooker isolator switch, you still need to connect it to the rcd side of ur DB. secondly yes you can put a 13amp single socket next to ur cooker outlet. I have been working with electrics for the past 12 years and cqme across this problem about 5 years ago when installing electrics on new build apartments. They had a cooker outlet for the hob and next to it they had a single socket spurring off it for the cooker itself.
Please remember to isolate the power before doing any work. Also you will need a 40 amp fuse for the DB as a minimum requirement.

Hope this helps you in your hour of DIY.

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by m7ohn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Thank you guys for your advice.

I thought if i did'nt have a integral socket on my cooker control unit then i did'nt need to get it wired to the RCD side of CU.

Would the hob and oven cause annoying trips of the RCB all the time?

Marcus

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:50 am