Electric shower on but no water
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
David Austin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electric shower on but no water

by David Austin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:01 pm

Can someone please provide some ideas as to what has happened to this shower? The unit indicates that it is on when the electric supply is switched on, sadly there is no water coming out. Has the unit just packed in and a new one required or is there possibly another explanation and an easy solution/part replacement?

Thanks for your consideration.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:29 pm

first thing you need to do is establish whether or not there is water getting TO the shower. this will most likely involve removing the shower unit. make sure the electrical supply is properly isolated, if not sure get in a pro.

if an isolator valve on the shower feed is exposed near to the unit you could crack open one of the compression nuts and see if water comes out under pressure - be ready to tighten it again pretty quick.

if no water going to the unit you need to establish why. at this time of year i'd suggest a frozen pipe - the shower should be mains fed and my bet is that it's being fed from a tee in the mains feed to the cold tank in the loft. if not lagged it could have frozen up.

if you do have a water supply going to the shower the thermostatic control in the shower could be knackered and time for a new unit.

these are only suggestions, difficult to say precisely without sight of the job. but first thing is to establish whether or not water is actually getting to the unit.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:43 pm

one further thought, eliminate the obvious (which i failed to think of when composing my previous post!) take the shower head off and the hose and inspect for blockages. dismantle the shower head and check for blockages also - could just be completely scaled up. in which case descale.

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

by Skids » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi David,

How old is the unit?

Can the check the water supply/feed?

There may be a prim button, check the manual, normally used on first commission to get the water through the heater tank, press it and see if it helps

All the best

Skids

David Austin
Apprentice
Apprentice

by David Austin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 pm

[quote="chris_on_tour2002"]one further thought, eliminate the obvious (which i failed to think of when composing my previous post!) take the shower head off and the hose and inspect for blockages. dismantle the shower head and check for blockages also - could just be completely scaled up. in which case descale.[/quote]

I'll check the water supply, but think the hose and head are ok as they are being used on a mixer tap on the bath.

The unit is probably 7 years or so old.

Thanks for your advice

David Austin
Apprentice
Apprentice

by David Austin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:25 pm

[quote="Skids"]Hi David,

How old is the unit?

Can the check the water supply/feed?

There may be a prim button, check the manual, normally used on first commission to get the water through the heater tank, press it and see if it helps

All the best

Skids[/quote]

The unit is around 7 years old. I'll have a look for the prim button.

Thanks for your advice.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:38 am