DIY Doctor


Postby andrewlisa30 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:58 pm

could you please tell me how to turn off the electric to my fuse box so i can fit a new consumer unit. thanks
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:54 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:16 pm

You need to contact your supplier. Many electricians do cut seals but this is against the law. Some suppliers will install a cutout.
The LABC should have told you all this when you registered the work you intend to do under Part P. They (The LABC) are responsible for site safety while the work is being done and should either be requiring method statements and risk assessments to be made out by you or should be doing them for you. It is what you pay them for.
If you are a registered electrician under Part P then you should ask your overseeing body.
Attitudes to people cutting seals vary region to region with some very keen to start court proceeding and other very lax.
They will normally give two dates one disconnect other re-connect and before they reconnect they will want to see all the paper work including test results.
You will most likely be a few days without power so run fridge and freezer down first.
You will need a full set of test meters these will cost around £750 to buy never tried to hire but need traceable records to show when calibrated etc. So I would not expect cheap to hire.
You may also have to prove you have the knowledge to undertake the work I know my local supply company will not connect unless there is an electrician on site when their men arrive. Never have to do anything which is annoying but they insist your present.
Never asked me for my qualifications but all now on C&G data base so maybe they don't need to ask!
All best Eric

Postby TOPSPARK » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 pm

As the work you are doing comes under part p you will need it tested and to the cutout it seems to me you need a means of isolation most sparks in whatever area if there is no kmf isolation switch then the seal on the fused cutout is cut and the main supply fuse is pulled out when doing this alledgedly keep the seal and see if you can slot it back in and no one is any the wiser bar you.I have found the old style cutouts to be a pain on the new meters to stop us sparks cutting seals there is a little screw to turn off and a spark can put his tails into the supply side of the meter. You could call in a local electrician and ask for his advice on how to proceed
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:44 pm

Postby ericmark » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:21 pm

I came across E.on site and it says:- “If you require the incoming supply to be isolated to allow you to work on wiring we recommend you have an isolating switch installed in the tails between the meter and the consumer unit or main switch. This arrangement will give you flexibility to isolate and restore the supply to fit in with your work programme.
To have an isolator fitted or the cut-out fuses removed
The customer will need to contact the supply company that sells electricity to the premises. Each supply company has its own procedures for providing isolation. Normally they will put you or the customer in touch with their preferred meter operator who will have the authority to remove the cut-out fuses, meter terminal covers and install isolators. The supply company or meter operator may charge for this service.
To contact a meter operator directly
Some meter operators may accept requests for isolation and isolator installation directly from customers and electrical contractors. The Association of Meter Operators web site link above contains a list of meter operators together with their contact numbers and web sites.
Please note: For reasons of confidentiality our MPAS service will need to communicate directly with the customer unless you can provide documentary proof that you are working on his/her behalf. (e.g. a faxed copy of the accepted quotation.)
Central Networks cannot authorise electricians to remove and replace cut-out fuses.
As a Distribution Network Operator, Central Networks does not have meter access rights. We are not permitted to remove meter terminal covers without the permission of the supply company.”
I hope that answers question
All best Eric

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics