electric to gas
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
redkev
Tradesman
Tradesman

electric to gas

by redkev » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:18 pm

how big a job is changing from electric to gas. i have a friend who is in his last year of apprenteship. he told me he would pipe all radiators and hang boiler. if he was to do this how much work is left to change system to a combi. or would it be better just puttin a heating boiler in and keeping the hot water off the cylinder.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:16 am

It is a big job for someone with little knowledge or experience.

After hanging radiators and piping flow and return, you have the boiler to hang, the flue to fit, condensate discharge pipework, gas pipework, electrical connection, room thermostat, presssure relief discharge, hot and cold pipes, system flushing etc

The apprentice will do the radiators and pipework but he shouldn't hang the boiler carry out any gas work etc This should be carried out by a CORGI registered installer as you need certification for the manufacturers warranty to be honoured and for CORGI certification (which you will need for the warranty and if you ever decide to sell the house)

Also if the boiler is installed by the apprentice - who will sign this off to say they installed it ? I wouldn't.

htg

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:31 am

and are you sure that you will be able to do this legally? there might be a reason that your home is all electric with no gas supply. are other homes in the area on a gas supply? if there is no supply nearby then you won't be able to do it anyway.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:51 am

I was assuming they had gas to the property -

that's just common sense you don't have to be a tradesman or any good at DIY to work that one out.

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:07 am