Electrical Qualification Recognition of EEC certificate
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JayElectrics
Labourer
Labourer

Electrical Qualification Recognition of EEC certificate

by JayElectrics » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:07 pm

Can anyone help me?

I am an electrician qualified in Czech Republic with good knowledge of Wiring Regulations and great working skills. My problem begins with recognition of my certificate in the UK. Has anyone ever heard about recognition of EU (EEC) certificates in the UK? Any useful information would be much appreciated!!!

Anyway, I have already given up the above idea and I'm willing to re-take the exams in the UK but...
Would anyone please help me to post a list of things which I have to do to work as a self-employed electrician for repairs on someone else's house wiring?
I will need to know, if I have to undertake all of the following or just some:
- Part P exam :!:
- City Guilds 2381 (16 Edition) :?:
- City Guilds 2391 (Inspection & Testing) :?:

Please do not forget that I might need a little update of my knowledge (to meet the BS7671) and have limited amount of money...

Thank you all for any useful information!
(Btw. Thanks God for this forum! :wink: )

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

exams

by Jeffmo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:07 pm

Hi , i would take them all , just to be sure , there are many short courses you can take ie : technique training .com .Good luck Jeff

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Try asking the Joint Industrial Board (JIB) abt your qualifications , or the Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE) now called IET. both have websites & help lines.
For most domestic work you will need Part P which is unique to U.K. but you can't get registered without the C& G's you named first Or possibly with your equivalents.
If you go the retake way then with your background you could probably do 'short courses' on offer by the above or other colleges etc,good luck, SPARX

JayElectrics
Labourer
Labourer

Thank you very much SPARX !

by JayElectrics » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:32 pm

I was reading through this board and I see that you are working really hard. It looks like you never sleep... :shock:

Btw You gave me an excellent answer and I am very thankful for it. I will come back and let you know, how it went...
I am a little bit concerned if they will let me attend the C&G 2381 (or maybe C&G 2391 later on), however I will ask them there...

Thanks a lot!!! :)

JayElectrics
Labourer
Labourer

Re: exams

by JayElectrics » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:29 pm

>>> Jeffmo & sparx
Thanks a lot once again... I very much appreciate this.
I'm living in the UK for the last 4 years but I was unable to get the papers right because I was working my shoes off with no time and money to study.
Luckily I have saved up something so, I can take the course and get it done ASAP. You cannot imagine how much I want this to be sorted out. Especially, when I see all those cowboys harshly wiring houses/flats/hotels with a very little knowledge of health & safety regulations. I'm not saying that I know everything but that's why I need to study and take those exams. (There are still some differences between Czech and UK regulations.)

>>> Jeffmo
Are they any good? Have you (or anyone you know) got any experience with them?

My only concern is whether I have any chance to pass the exams...? :)

I have been looking quite a lot during the past week for those courses and they mostly differ in prices (promises are the same). Also I have almost been caught-on by an unnamed course provider, who was promising gold for water…

Can anyone recommend any approved books? (ie. Domlec)
Or do you thing that the best place is IEE and/or City & Gilds web?

Thank you!
Jay

JayElectrics
Labourer
Labourer

Books for exams?

by JayElectrics » Wed May 02, 2007 4:37 pm

OK. So, I have contacted some course providers and soon I will have to choose one, which is not a con... :)

I have also ordered following books:

-> IEE Wiring Regulations: BS7671, 2001 Incorporating Amendments No. 1 & 2, 2004 (Brown Series Paperback)

-> IEE on Site Guide (BS 7671: 2001 16th Edition Wiring Regulations Including Amendment 2: 2002) (IEE Wiring Regulations Brown)

-> Guidance Note 3 to IEE Wiring Regulations BS7671: Inspection and Testing (Guidance Notes for Bs 7671)

Can anyone suggest anything else I will need to learn before signing-up for [u]City & Guilds 2381, 2391[/u]?
[u]Will I also need Guidance Note 1 to BS 7671[/u] (IEE Wiring Regulations): Selection and Erection of Equipment ?

Thanks to everyone!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:11 pm