Electrics for car charger (EVSE)
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

paolo78
Labourer
Labourer

Electrics for car charger (EVSE)

by paolo78 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:04 pm

Looking for some advice on what I might need to do to fit a car charger to our garage.

The garage is detached from the house, it has a dedicated 32amp MCB in the house's consumer unit, house itself has 100amp supply fuse.

Cable to the garage is stamped "3x6.0" as best I can make out and buried under the garden to the garage (about 15m away).

The mini consumer unit in the garage has a 6amp MCB for four fluorescent tube lights, 20amp MCB for 4 double sockets inside and another 20amp MCB to run 4 double sockets out in the garden. There is a spare 16amp MCB as well and the whole lot is covered by a "CPB80" RCD.

My question is - can I fit a 3.6Kw charge point with this set up? I think I'd at least need to swap the 16amp breaker for a 20amp one, not sure if that'd be allowed? And presumably there's no chance of putting a full 7Kw one in given the other bits hanging off it (I did wonder if a load balancing one might be permissible - although I still think that'd need a 40amp breaker in the house)?

Not intending to DIY this, but would like to have some idea of what's possible before I get someone round to take a proper look.

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:29 am