Electrics for Outside Lighting/Pond Equipment
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MikeT17
Labourer
Labourer

Electrics for Outside Lighting/Pond Equipment

by MikeT17 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:28 pm

As my pond and garden grows so does my need for electrics, for lights and pumps etc. At the moment i have a 13A fused spur from a ring main. This goes outside through SWA 5core 2.5mm2 into an RCD 40A 30mA. The RCD feeds into a 32A mcb feeding a double socket.
Now i'm wondering if i can add 2 more double sockets either as a radial circuit or a ring circuit after the 32A mcb?
Any advice welcome.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:58 pm

First you needs to draw up a plan. I would suggest a 32A MCB after a 13A fuse is a little pointless. Once you have drawn your plans you can submit them to the council with their fee. If they are satisfied with your plans they will give go ahead and you can then fit your extra sockets once completed you then have to inspect and test the sockets and submit the results to the LCBC who can either accept them or come and re-test your sockets. If they don’t like it they can get you to rip it out and start again.
Or you can get a registered electrician to do the work.
Or use a load of extension leads and splitters. Seems this is all to do with safety not quite worked out how extension leads are safer than hard wired you need to ask your MP that!
Part P aside supplying through a 30mA RCD and 13A fused spur you can add as many sockets as you like so long as earth loop impedance and volt drop limits are not exceeded. And they are protected from the elements.
Eric

MikeT17
Labourer
Labourer

by MikeT17 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:24 pm

Thank you very much for your help, I think i'll get a registered electrician to sort it out. What size circuit breaker would you recommend feeding the 3xdouble sockets after the RCD?

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:24 am

Since it comes off a 13 amp fuse I would use no bigger than 16 amp i.e. B16 but possibly I would not use a MCB at all the 13A fuse is good enough. Distance, volt drop, and earth loop impedance would have a bearing and I don't have those facts so I would leave it to electrician on site.
Eric

MikeT17
Labourer
Labourer

by MikeT17 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:18 pm

ok thanks for your help, think i'll leave it to the electrician then.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:40 am